Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

How to Eat an Elephant

Every journey begins with a single step.
Be not afraid of going slowly, be only afraid of standing still.
If you wait for perfect conditions, you'll never get anything done.

I know lots of encouraging words for starting a change in my life.  I am a fountain of information- These little gems, however, have been useless to me.  Until today.  I have my fork, bib, and plate ready. Bring on that elephant!  I am ready to work.

I have great intentions, but it boils down to work.  If I'm going to eat this thing one bite at a time, there is more involved than just talking about said elephant.  I have to cut, stab, chew... ok, I'm not sure about the elephant metaphor.  It sounds kind of grizzly.  Let's just say I know the work is going to be the key.  Writing and whining are NOT going to cut it here or in my home!  

I am a self-help junkie.  I have started tons of books, hoping that I would uncover the pill, the wand, the spell that would magically transform me from slacker to Superwoman.  Go ahead, ask me if I have actually worked through any one of them.  They have great ideas, but I constantly justify why I can't do this and that.  And,  I get frustrated with the obsessively organized authors trying to herd the creative, free spirited (ahem, like myself!) brains into a neat little organized (boring) box.

So, as I begin, I want to offer a special thanks to Nony at  A Slob Comes Clean, who, for three years, has recorded her baby steps through "deslobification" (a Nony original term, I think!). I feel like this is the time for me to work through my metamorphosis, one step at a time.  I am public (yikes!), accountable, present, hopeful, willing, and seeking change to make improvements in my life!

I have an evening routine written down (ask how many years it's been on paper..about 6, I think), which I followed last night.  It seemed to make this morning run much more smoothly!  I would like to keep up with doing these very minimal steps before bed:


  • Shine Sink
  • Lay out Clothes for Tomorrow
  • Wash Face
  • Take Vitamins
  • Brush Teeth


These may seem like such basic steps to most folks- but I am not most folks- I have trouble remembering to do all of them every night.  I want to work on these steps.  There are a million other things, but these few items help my morning start more smoothly.

And so, my first blog entry is complete :)

2 comments:

  1. Very nice start! I am for the first time reading your blog... I will read all of them. You may get tired of my comments but this sound like my thoughts you have written down. Thanks! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan! I have had fits and starts, but I think I'm giving myself permission to let the blog flow as consistently as I can manage for now... and I have lots of goals for the future (of course! lol). I hope you enjoy reading it, and I LOVE reading your comments!! :) Thanks <3 you too!!

      Delete