Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

GLU(e) TON (because I wonder if it's gluing a TON of bloat and general yuckiness around us?!)

I am beginning to convince myself that gluten could possibly be a culprit in our "allergy issues" at our house.  I keep putting off the trips to the clinic/doctor because I don't want them on antibiotics and more antibiotics. I fear putting my kids on antibiotics for obvious reasons.

I am NOT a nutritionist, and I am not totally certain gluten plays any role in the allergy issue.  However, I am convinced there are good reasons to at least begin to eliminate stuff on a trial basis, even if it's little-by-little!

Oh, look, it's another life-application of baby steps!

My first task is to set a goal (or a few) :-)

1. Find a working definition of gluten.  I mean, what is the stuff?
2. Figure out where it hides.
3. Find the biggest culprit and weed that one thing out (a starting place)
4. Reassess/Readjust my goals according to my newfound knowledge.
5. Have a plan before or at least BY the last day of school so we can work on this all summer!

Goal #1:
Find a working definition of gluten:

It's the glue that holds stuff together.  It gives elasticity to dough.  Oh, holy cow.  It's used in makeup, lotion, hair products, and other skin stuff.  Yikes.  It provides protein in foods that don't otherwise have it (think: imitation crab meat).  1 in 133 have a gluten intolerance. That number was obtained from a 2010 article.  (wiki was my source for this paragraph of info)  I wonder if that ratio has increased in the past 4 years?  My guess is yes...?

For today, I feel validated in continuing to investigate gluten and the benefit we might get from decreasing the amount we're consuming.

P.S. No excuses for the long break in blogging, I'm just picking it up and moving right along!  Let's learn something together, shall we?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment