Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Powerless

That's how I felt tonight at the funeral home.  The mom of one of the kids' friends passed away, and tonight was the visitation.  After we walked through the line and spoke with the dad, he asked us to go visit with the girl.

As the kids played, I tried to sit back and just let them "be" ... They were playing a game of Uno when I heard an adult we didn't know ask the girl "...Are these friends of yours?"  and the little girl says "They're my BEST friends." I can't tell you what it meant for me to hear this grieving, heartbroken little girl include all 3 of my kids as her best friends.  And all 3 of them had their hearts broken and swell with love for this family tonight, too.

What a wonderful woman their momma was.  She was thoughtful, giving, kind, wise, she could cook(and tried to encourage me, lol), she was crafty, she was pretty darn brilliant, and she had patience... lots of patience <3  I'm so glad she's not in pain or suffering any more, but the selfish side of me is sad that she's not around to just drop a line or set up a playdate.  She raised some awesome kids, and they lost her way, way too soon.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret.. as gung-ho as I've been to get back on the "21" wagon, I failed today.  I did not get 10 minutes of heart-rate-elevating exercise in.  It's ok, because I'll start over at "Day 1" tomorrow. You might ask why I'm not going to do it right now, and I'd say it's because I don't want to wake myself up before bed... Maybe that's why, or maybe it's because I'm just a little down.  Either way, there's no punishment- I'm building a habit, and I'm well aware stuff happens.  I'll be back at it tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment