Pages

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Inhuman(e) Part of Me

Thanksgiving is two days away!  Why, then, do I have a Christmas tree erected in my living room and boxes of ornaments everywhere?  What are your thoughts about this phenomenon?  I have fallen right in the trap of the "Halloween-to-Christmas" scheme!  Conspiracy theorists probably have an explanation for my tree being up before Thanksgiving, but then again, so do I.

I have company coming over tomorrow night.  This is how my brain works, folks... The logic part says "Just get it up now, because Christmas is less than a month away!"  Peggy (My Inner Brat) says "Oooh, a new tree, sparkles, and lights!!", and that other, maybe inhumanly cruel part of me says "You have company coming over. You must put up your tree now and do all the other two million things before they get here. Bwahahahaaaa!!!"

That little inhuman part? Yah, I need to talk about that.  I have a feeling at least some of you have dealt with that old hag before!  See, I know I want the house to be presentable before I have company over.  My house isn't grand, updated, or new in any way, but I do like it to be mostly-picked-up-and-stuff.  I am also the "Grand Procrastinator" (only the coolest Slackers get to say that).  So, no matter what, I know I will have to get the tree up, get the stuff put away from said tree, clean the bathrooms, clean the kitchen, vacuum, clean the hard floors, and make sure the laundry is at least under the rim of the hampers.  I also need to cook. Something.  Do I have a menu made out yet? Uh. Do I ever have a menu made out in advance?  That means cookbooks, online recipes, decisions, lists, a trip to the grocery store, finding a place to put the new groceries (Storage space is like zero in my cozy little abode).

Really?  I am a stay-at-home mom. I have an awesome husband, fantastic kids, and very, very little stress compared to others.  Why do I choose to wait until the last second and then pile on as much  as I possibly (and usually some "impossibly", too) can?!  I made a sign- using a weird selfie... and it fits this inhuman, unkind part of me:


So, instead of waiting until this afternoon to get started, I'm going to set my timer for 15 minutes and make a list of the things I need to gather/clean/do before tomorrow evening.  Then, I do believe I'm going to go to the gym.  I have been trying to talk myself out of the gym since I went to bed last night.  But I need it.  I know I won't do a workout at home today because of the mess here.  So, a list, a mini-shower, the gym, then back home to start knocking that list OUT!

The human, kind part of me is going to enjoy this process while working hard to accomplish lots of things!  Peggy is going to be happy- because there are shiny, glittery things decorating our home.  And I am going to be happy, because I recognized what the inhuman(e) part of me is trying to do, and I'm laughing in the monster's face instead of hiding this time!

Enjoy your time before Thanksgiving- don't spend it in freak-out mode.  Trust the expert.  It doesn't help, and those around you will be grateful if you don't.  Get your timer- do 5, 10, or 15 minutes- even ONE minute at a time is something.  We can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment